Monday, May 4, 2009

Bargain Shopping

What does a rental bond get you these days??


All this of course!! Oh and a 420L fridge which hasn't been delivered yet (yes I am getting excited about a new fridge, I really have no idea who I am anymore). The Boy and I had been planning this day for months! Ever since mum told us she didn't want a bond and we should use the money to buy what we needed. First up was a fridge. The Boy's parents lent us their "beer" fridge to use until we bought one. Without offending anyone I will just say that it is old, well used, is not frost free and if you put stuff at the back of the fridge it ends up frozen. So I was very very excited about getting a new fridge.

We deiced to make the drive and go out to the Castle Hill Supa Centa (why do advertisers use bad English) which is "your one stop "home & lifestyle" shop!" and there we visited out good friends at Clive Anthony's who do a better deal than anyone else. The Boy and I narrowed our selection down to 2 fridges. One was 315L the other was 420L. We wanted the bigger one as it would allow us 'room to grow' ;) and we wouldn't need to upgrade for a while. However it would also depend on the price they could do. The salesman said he would take a little bit off the price if we paid cash. I told him I would need to think about it.
"Ok, well what price do you need it to be to take it home today?"
The Boy had to turn away so he wouldn't laugh. I am a bargain shopper, never, ever, ask me that question. I politely smiled and told him the price of our budget, minus $50. He said he would speak to the manager and be back.
He returned 5 minutes later and said it was a done deal. We filled out all the paperwork and were praying that the fridge would fit, because due to our lack of sleep (The Boy came home at 4am that morning) we didn't bother taking the measurements. I am pleased to say it fits.

Then it was off to a certain budget furniture place. We needed a new bed frame and only wanted to spend as little as possible as we plan to upgrade to a King Latex next year (well that is my plan anyway). We had already picked out the one we wanted from the catalogue we got the other day. However today the price had gone up $20. We went to the counter and this woman was there talking to her colleague. FIVE MINUTES LATER she turned to us and said "Are you being served?"
"No" said The Boy bluntly.
"How can I help you?"
"We are after this bed, but it says it is a different price than the catalogue we have at home".
"Oh you mean the XX bed, well yes the price has gone up?"
"You can't do us a deal?" I asked.
"No only if you buy a bundle, otherwise you have to pay full price."
"You can't sell it for less?"
"No all prices are set by head office."
"But it is $20, I mean surely you can take that off."
"Well I would have to check, but I doubt it."
Meanwhile The Boy is flipping through their most recent catalogue and spots the package with the bed, and in the small print is says "Bed alone $XXX" The price we were expecting to pay.
"Says our price here" said The Boy pointing to it.
The woman looks over and looks at us "Well, that must be a mis-print but I suppose I will have to sell it to you at that price."
I turned to The Boy and looked up at him and loudly say "Good spotting Baby!"
She gave me a dirty look.

We also need some cutlery and I wanted the good stuff. We went to a homewares place and they had Stanley Rogers at below cost. I couldn't believe it! It was retailing for $299 and we picked up a 56 piece set for $129! I was a very happy camper. With the cooler weather it was also time to warm up the bed, so we bought an electric blanket, a faux mink blanket and mattress protector all from Kmart. And after all that we still have money left over! Did someone say there was a recession going on?

No comments: