Friday, August 21, 2009

Spring Is In The Air

Spring is almost here, I can literally feel it. I walk outside and the air is not only warmer, but it feels lighter too, it doesn't feel as harsh as the winter air. Autumn is my favourite season, but I must admit, come the end of August I am over the cold and looking forward to Spring. I am hoping it stays this way and that next week I can stop wearing stockings. Especially because when I buy the expensive ones (almost $10 each) they last a week and when I buy the cheap ones, they do last longer but my legs are either orange or pink, and with my very colourless porcelain complexion, neither is a good look for me.

Of course the new season means a lot of things. Firstly it represents spring cleaning. This past week (maybe even two weeks) I have been looking all around The Penthouse thinking about how everything has to be cleaned. All the drawers, cupboards, and going through everything and actually throwing out the stuff that is taking up space. In the past this has been fine, because it has been localised to a room and a bathroom cabinet, (I never bothered spring cleaning when I was living with room mates because they never wanted to). But now I have a whole Penthouse. This is going to take weeks!

It is also a reminder that shortly the legs and arms will be on display and the rest of the body will only have one layer of material covering it. This is usually when I go and join another weight loss program and hit the gym hard and try and improve my diet and all that crap. It never works because I obsess about my weight and food and exercise (and beat myself up for not going 6 times a week) and it is all I can think about that eventually I just snap and throw it all away and choose to live again.

This Spring, however, will be different. There will be no diet, and the only exercise will be going for walks with The Boy (and as that improves adding some running intervals into it). I am actually going to continue living my life the way it is and instead spend a few weeks obsessing about cleaning and leaving it at that. Since getting off the meds, my appetite has at least halved, and now that I am in the right head space, I am naturally eating better anyway. The Boy and I allow ourselves one night a week for any crap food we may want and the rest of the time we just eat well to nourish our bodies (which includes a piece of homemade cake for morning tea). I am finding now that I am loving and respecting myself again (without the constant need to eat via medication), eating better is so much easier and doesn't require much thinking at all (and eating chocolate during PMS is normal eating).

I have been doing a lot of reading this year about food as well, and all the artificial crap that goes into it, and The Boy and I have been making changes accordingly, and tomorrow we are taking another step towards that and towards a slightly more sustainable life. I'll blog about it next time, have a great weekend.

Image: Flickr

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are in a good mindset going into spring - I need to take a page from your book and start spring positively as well.

Chantel said...

Me too thereaddeer! I set off with this same thinking at the start of this year and feel like I have lost my way a little the last few months. I thought about it alot when I was away on holidays how i want to focus more on 'simple living' in the next few months.

You're in such a healthy place!Good on you mate! x