
Throughout my entire life, whenever I have been sick, I have had someone to look after me. For nearly all of my life, it was mum. She would tuck me into bed, bring me my meals and help me sit up to eat, basically she would run around doing whatever she could to make me comfortable. Most recently it has been The Boy, who would look after me, keep the place clean and allow me to recover. Whenever I have been sick, it has always been about me, which is probably a good thing considering I am such a bad patient.
However, this week, I have been sick with the flu, and so has The Boy. For the first time we are sick together which is providing to be a new experience. We have progressively become worse this week, with both of us taking today off from work in an attempt to recover. We have been hit hard and as I sit here now I am very sleep deprived and feel like I am in a dream, my throat is burning and my chest feels like a fireplace.
It is hard because we are both focused on trying to get better and with the little amount of energy we have left, trying to help each other. As we both feel like crap neither of us have the strength to do any cleaning or cook dinner. We have been living off the simplest meals, avoiding the expanding mess in the kitchen and living in the bedroom which is starting to look like it has recently been trashed. I'm not happy because I am not getting pampered like a Queen I am having to suck it up and deal with it myself and I don't like it.
As for The Boy, what can I say, he has a "man cold" and is acting like a great big baby, I love him, but really, he isn't going to die. I remember my mum telling me when I was a child, that when a man is sick, he expects you to drop everything and look after him as if he were on his deathbed, and that he will carry on and be all dramatic thinking the world revoles around them and they are as sick as humanly possible and in need of 24/7 attention. I never understood what she meant, until now. And of course after her rant she looked at me and said "Don't give them any sympathy, let them deal with it themselves. They need to learn." Well I failed at that, I have been a very good Future Wife coddling The Boy and attending to all his needs. Maybe next time I'll be stronger, perhaps if I had a decent night sleep and energy to actually get out of bed I would. I'll try and remember for next time.
Image: Flickr
However, this week, I have been sick with the flu, and so has The Boy. For the first time we are sick together which is providing to be a new experience. We have progressively become worse this week, with both of us taking today off from work in an attempt to recover. We have been hit hard and as I sit here now I am very sleep deprived and feel like I am in a dream, my throat is burning and my chest feels like a fireplace.
It is hard because we are both focused on trying to get better and with the little amount of energy we have left, trying to help each other. As we both feel like crap neither of us have the strength to do any cleaning or cook dinner. We have been living off the simplest meals, avoiding the expanding mess in the kitchen and living in the bedroom which is starting to look like it has recently been trashed. I'm not happy because I am not getting pampered like a Queen I am having to suck it up and deal with it myself and I don't like it.
As for The Boy, what can I say, he has a "man cold" and is acting like a great big baby, I love him, but really, he isn't going to die. I remember my mum telling me when I was a child, that when a man is sick, he expects you to drop everything and look after him as if he were on his deathbed, and that he will carry on and be all dramatic thinking the world revoles around them and they are as sick as humanly possible and in need of 24/7 attention. I never understood what she meant, until now. And of course after her rant she looked at me and said "Don't give them any sympathy, let them deal with it themselves. They need to learn." Well I failed at that, I have been a very good Future Wife coddling The Boy and attending to all his needs. Maybe next time I'll be stronger, perhaps if I had a decent night sleep and energy to actually get out of bed I would. I'll try and remember for next time.
Image: Flickr


4 comments:
Ohh poor mate :( I hate being sick too. Maybe you could call your mum and get her to bring you some emergency get better soup?!
Hope you both feel better soon! x
Ack! Hope you both get better soon!
Hope you get better soon!
I hope you feel better soon.
Just a note, you will never get stronger when it comes to coddling the boy:o) It must be the motherly instinct but when the man you love is sick, no matter how ridiculous he may sound (when my husband get ths cold that i had had a week earlier he goes straight past man cold, bypasses man flu and gets man ebola virus, its kinda funny really!) you want to make it better and will go out of your way to do what you can, same with kids :o)
Post a Comment