Monday, September 7, 2009

Am I Old Or Just A Prude?


I had another very busy weekend, running around from one place to another. This happened the weekend before and today I feel like I am entering week three without having had a break. This weekend will be different, The Boy and I are celebrating our anniversary, so all phones (and internet) will be off on Friday at 5:30pm only to be switched back on, on Monday morning. I have no idea what we are doing, I have left that up to him (much to the distress of my inner control freak) but I have a few surprises for him in terms of gifts and spent a LOT of time on the weekend running around different shopping centres trying to get it all done. I call it Operation Secret Project. Mum is in on the whole thing and helped me a lot and I'll be at her place tomorrow night hopefully finishing it off.

But I digress. This weekend has me thinking that I am either old or a prude. I remember spending every weekend running around achieving so much and thriving on it, not to mention being a complete social butterfly, always catching up for drinks and swanning about the city like I was Carrie Bradshaw. Now as soon as I walk in the door of The Penthouse I collapse on the sofa stressing about the fact that I have to get up again in an hour and all I want to do is stay home and relax. I had a Hen's Party on Saturday night. I had been running around all day Saturday and finally came home at around 3:30pm. I had 90 minutes to relax. I got the faux mink blanket, curled up on the sofa and dozed off while watching Seinfeld with The Boy gently stroking my head until he nudged me at 5:10 asking if I needed to get ready.

2 hours later and I was in the city ordering a lemon lime & bitters and dressed to party. I was wearing my new jeans with one of my new tops - black with pink, purple and silver sequins around the very low neckline complete with my 10cm black strappy heels. I was there with my friend (not the hen) and she was dressed similar to me, and we were the most conservatively dressed out of the throng of women there. It was at a hotel that specialises in hen's parties, because there were four different parties all in the same room. I have never seen so much flesh in my life. If half those girls bent down I would have seen everything.

Shortly afterwards dinner was served and everyone was drinking, starting to get tipsy and the talk was becoming lose and more and more vulgar. I continued to sip my non alcoholic drink with a shocked look on my face. The woman to my left was 42 and carrying on like she was 18. It made me feel very old and also very prudish. My friend that I went with was as shocked as I was, so if I was being a prude, at least I wasn't doing it alone.

As the night went on, drunken behaviour became worse, complete with attempted pinching of not so hot waiter's bum (not me, 42 yr old) and then dancing. I did have a good night, but to be honest the best part of the night was coming home and crawling into bed and snuggling right up next to The Boy. At that moment I felt blissfully happy and content and as I started to fall asleep I wondered if I am old or simply a prude? Regardless I am very happy to have said goodbye to my drinking and dancing days, because the life I have now is so much sweeter, I wouldn't trade it in for anything in the whole world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you are old or a prude - you were just sober! I haven't drunk alcohol for almost 2 years and everytime I am around people that are getting drunk I always feel a bit over it. You aren't alone!

Chantel said...

I agree with thereddeer - you're not old or a prude!

I've had similar nights and it's good just to go home. The first thing I like to do is off with the shoes and bra :P LOL

It's so lovely to read the contentment you have in your life now :)