
I don't really get the whole TV thing. As long as it produces a picture, I am happy. I don't care about the size, all I care about is that it works so I can chill out to a DVD. The Boy, however, cares, apparently he (allegedly) knows a lot about TV's and he wants one. He wants a plasma, and has ever since the day we moved in together. He should have just bought one before we met (apparently he almost did but the store/bank wouldn't do eftpos for that amount).
So, whenever we are out at the shops and we walk past an electronics store (who ALWAYS have the Plasmas out the front enticing you in) or just walk past them anywhere, The Boy stops and stares longingly at the screen, before turning to look at me and saying in a very sad, very child-like voice. "Plasma?" He then puts his head down and pouts his lips giving me the full puppy dog look. I, like a mother, look at him disapprovingly and say "If we can afford a plasma, we can afford to buy a house." Seriously, they are $3,000+, that would cover all of our fees for purchasing a place, I just cannot see the point in buying one.
The TV we have is his (I had a very little one which is stored in the bedroom and only used when I am forced in there because he needs "x-box time"), and it is big and that is all I know about it. Until last night however when I also learned it is dying. Suddenly the picture has a weird green light on both sides of the screen, giving whatever show we are watching an ugly green border which sometimes produces green people. The Boy informs me he has had the TV for a very long time, it was a cheap brand anyway and clearly we need a new one.
Perfect timing! Just when I thought we were finally getting ahead, this happens. And NO we cannot use my old TV because it is too small and that is no good for "xbox time" and two people cannot watch a screen that small (?). Fine, if he wants a plasma he can pay for it himself. Which is no longer a problem given all the overtime he has coming up due to an outage. Now it is my turn to put on the puppy dog face because I was hoping for a nice romantic weekend away with massages and a seafood basket to enjoy on the beach, but no, now the overtime money is going towards a freakin plasma TV.
The Boy couldn't be happier, and maybe the current TV could be saved and put out the back to form his "man cave". We have a little room off from the laundry that we don't know what to do with. Let me re-phrase that, I don't know what to do with. The Boy, after channel hopping, found the Father's Day special of Better Homes and Gardens, who conveniently showed you how to create a "man cave" (I can totally see how no TV at all would make my life so much easier). So now he wants to turn the back room into his "man cave". And what about a "Lissy cave?" I asked. Well, apparently the whole Penthouse is my cave and therefore he should be entitled to a small section of it where he can be a man. Honestly, I really do not understand men at all, and I don't even think it is worth my time trying to, I will just write about it and hopefully one day look back and laugh. Hopefully.
So, whenever we are out at the shops and we walk past an electronics store (who ALWAYS have the Plasmas out the front enticing you in) or just walk past them anywhere, The Boy stops and stares longingly at the screen, before turning to look at me and saying in a very sad, very child-like voice. "Plasma?" He then puts his head down and pouts his lips giving me the full puppy dog look. I, like a mother, look at him disapprovingly and say "If we can afford a plasma, we can afford to buy a house." Seriously, they are $3,000+, that would cover all of our fees for purchasing a place, I just cannot see the point in buying one.
The TV we have is his (I had a very little one which is stored in the bedroom and only used when I am forced in there because he needs "x-box time"), and it is big and that is all I know about it. Until last night however when I also learned it is dying. Suddenly the picture has a weird green light on both sides of the screen, giving whatever show we are watching an ugly green border which sometimes produces green people. The Boy informs me he has had the TV for a very long time, it was a cheap brand anyway and clearly we need a new one.
Perfect timing! Just when I thought we were finally getting ahead, this happens. And NO we cannot use my old TV because it is too small and that is no good for "xbox time" and two people cannot watch a screen that small (?). Fine, if he wants a plasma he can pay for it himself. Which is no longer a problem given all the overtime he has coming up due to an outage. Now it is my turn to put on the puppy dog face because I was hoping for a nice romantic weekend away with massages and a seafood basket to enjoy on the beach, but no, now the overtime money is going towards a freakin plasma TV.
The Boy couldn't be happier, and maybe the current TV could be saved and put out the back to form his "man cave". We have a little room off from the laundry that we don't know what to do with. Let me re-phrase that, I don't know what to do with. The Boy, after channel hopping, found the Father's Day special of Better Homes and Gardens, who conveniently showed you how to create a "man cave" (I can totally see how no TV at all would make my life so much easier). So now he wants to turn the back room into his "man cave". And what about a "Lissy cave?" I asked. Well, apparently the whole Penthouse is my cave and therefore he should be entitled to a small section of it where he can be a man. Honestly, I really do not understand men at all, and I don't even think it is worth my time trying to, I will just write about it and hopefully one day look back and laugh. Hopefully.
Image: Flickr


5 comments:
I think the man-cave syndrome is like the shed syndrome...they just have to have one! Mr.P has not a handy-man bone in his body, has never made anything in his life (except at school) and doesn't have a hobby that requires the use of a garage, and yet he's obsessed with cleaning out the garage so he can make it into a 'proper man-space'. For what? his non-existant tools? or the tools he's stolen from his dad? I feel your pain on the tv too!
I hope you won't think I'm being insensitive, but the story has already made me laugh - so I hope you will be able to laugh about it soon, too. :)
On a more serious note, this "Let's get a plasma" debate seems to be happening in many relationships these days - I know of two other cases of the male wanting one, and the female pointing out that it's not that necessary to get one and preferring to spend the money on other thing.
A man cave! HAHA! Cool!
I love better homes and gardens. I tape it every week and watch it at some stage. It was really helpful the week I started my spring clean - it got me all inspired :D
Yes, Ken would like a plasma too - I think perhaps it is a boy thing.
I hope you can look back later on and laugh too :P
*hugs* x
I don't think we will ever understand our men. Hubby always wants to update all of our electronics - I can never work out why?
I've just spent the last 12 months listening to why my husband needs an i-Phone. All the fantastic benefits seem to have faded into the background now we actually have one, the only thing i've 'gotten' from the deal is less time with the husband! :P
Good luck with pushing for your weekend!
Post a Comment