Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Aren't I Too Young To Be Getting Old?


I have been suffering from back pain for a while now. However in the last 6 months it has become worse. I personally thought it was because I was no longer getting my massages. Before The Boy my Saturday mornings were spent getting pampered. Every second Saturday was a 45 minute remedial massage, and the Saturdays in between that were hair and facials and nails.... The Boy came along and I wanted to spend my Saturdays with him, then when I wanted some "me time" back, I realised that I would have to set up my own beauty salon in our bathroom if we are to buy a house next year. Naturally I made the assumption that The Boy = no massages = sore back. I decided it was the only conclusion there was.

That was until I went and saw the Dr last week who informed me of a new equation: The Boy = 10kg more weight = sore back. I have my bloods taken every 6 months due to the meds I am on, and they have shown that I have inflammation in my blood and it is getting higher. She assured me it wasn't cancer as she tested for cancer proteins (which I was totally unaware of) and from everything I had told her and other tests etc that I most likely have some form of arthritis in my back and I need to go see a rheumatoid specialist.

Arthritis? That is what my grandparents have! Even my parents don't have that yet! I am 26! Yes I am 27 in less than 4 weeks but I am under 50!! What is going on???? What's next? I need glasses for failing vision? Hormones for early menopause? Having my roots lighter than my blonde hair?? I am not even ready to get pregnant for a couple of years and already I have arthritis, well allegedly.

The Dr then told me that if I lost some weight it would probably all just go away. The fact that I am an apple shape and all my weight gain has been on my belly, is not doing me any favours. Here I was ready to embrace my shape and get on with life and the one person I listen to when it comes to my health tells me to loose weight, in the nicest possible way of course. What choice do I have? I want a healthy body.

She has recommended Lite n Easy as it is the only program she has seen her patients have real success on. It is the only program that has worked for me as I did it once for 12 weeks and lost 8kg. So I am going back on it this week and will give it a 12 week period and review it from there. I go back to the Dr in a month, and she says she only wants me to loose 1kg a month. That I can do with my eyes shut. It also takes all the pressure of fast weight loss off me, that pressure just makes me eat. If I loose 10kg by the end of the year, I will be very happy, and a lot more healthy as well.

There is one thing my Dr said that has stuck with me. She told me that I have done much harder things. She said that with the two things I have battled through, both times I made a decision, and once I made that decision that was it. There was no going back, no excuses, nothing except success. If I could make the decision to just loose the weight, become more healthy and decide to only treat my body with nourishing food that I could achieve a healthy body with the same drive and determination that I have within me. Today I made that decision and although there may be times when that decision becoming a little shaky, I know this time, that those shaky periods will only be brief fleeting moments in time, and they will no longer turn into the start of a snowballing effect of unhelpfulnes that pushes me back down to the bottom. The decision has been made, and all I can see now is victory, that is the only option I have, and I choose to take it.

Image: Flickr

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck - I am trying to lose weight too. I have 11kgs to lose, can't wait to feel good about my body again!