Wednesday, April 1, 2009

We Finally Did It - Couch To 5K (C25K)


Cool and rainy. Perfect weather for snuggling on the couch with The Boy watching a DVD (a wedding one - I'm getting impatient and need to drop more obvious hints. I know the proposal will happen in May, he has told me that, but still, I just want to introduce him to people as my fiance) so what were we doing running at 6pm??

I have been attempting the C25K Program for years. The program involves 3 sessions a week for 9 weeks and basically it is interval training, running 60secs walking 90secs up until the end of the program when you can do 5k straight. Usually, I do the first session and then life gets in the way and I find myself repeating the first session several weeks later. I used to run, and I loved it, it was my favourite thing to do on a Saturday morning, running with my ipod and dreaming all my fabulous dreams (that I am now finally working on) and would come home blissfully happy.

Then I met The Boy and my Saturdays were spent with him, shopping, having brunch, or sleeping in (and both of us gaining 8kg....). Towards the end of last year I suggested the C25K program, we did the first session, I nearly died. I had let my fitness get that bad, I couldn't even finish the session. That scared me of a little and I didn't bother prompting The Boy to do the next session. It never got done. We repeated this in January, and then again in February, and the all of March was spent with the intention to do it, but always "we'll start it next week".

We began again on Monday, my fitness is improving so it wasn't to bad, and finally we broke the hurdle and completed the second session for the first time ever today!! It was cold, raining, and we were both tired, had bad days at work but we managed to get off the couch enough to get dressed and get out the door. The rain stopped as we left and fortunately we didn't get wet, but 5 minutes after we walked back in the door the rain started again. That made me smile.

One of my affirmations on my list is "I am a runner". Now that the commitment has been sealed and the drought broken, I AM going to be a runner in 9 weeks time, oh, and The Boy too.

No comments: