
I used to work in retail in the confectionery department and on the back wall was a quote. "Nine out of ten people like chocolate. The tenth always lies." I have found this to be true. I don't lie though, I love chocolate. But it has gone from being a treat to becoming an everyday staple in my diet. In the last few days I have been eating a lot more than I usually do because "I have PMS and therefore I can eat as much chocolate as I want and you had better not say otherwise". As I sat last night after dinner looking at an open packet of 70% organic dark chocolate with already two rows gone and no doubt more to be eaten I realised I have a problem.
So as of today I am taking a week off. Sure I probably need to take more time away from it, at least a month, but if that was the goal it would be too hard and I would be inhaling it within an hour of making that goal. I have done a week before. I can do it again. Although last time I wasn't a hormonal woman snapping at The Boy and grinding my teeth at work while trying not to stand up tell them what I really think and walking out the door. But I figure if I can do it while I am all these things then I can definitely break this addiction.
The Boy said he would join me. I told him chocolate included milo. He agreed. This morning as I hugged him while he was putting his shoes on I said to him.
"What am I going to do? I always have hot chocolate with my cereal, what do I do now?" (Having it first thing in the morning as soon as I wake up - if that is not an addiction I don't know what is)
The Boy said nothing. In fact he looked away from me.
"What?" I asked.
"Nothing."
"Did you have hot chocolate this morning?"
"Maybe."
"But last night we agreed, and I said no milo."
"It wasn't milo, it was drinking chocolate."
Men. What else can I say. Apparently he is now going without. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt. So this morning in my glass of hot milk I put in instant coffee. Really not the same. I might have to have a smoothie or something tomorrow. And what about tonight? What do I do after dinner when I am craving something sweet and experiencing some serious cramping? Munch on an apple? And on the weekend with FMIL coming down, what do I do? Bake a carrot cake?
OK I am not in denial anymore, I can see it is a problem. One that is now being stopped. I am going to go now, and google "chocolate replacement" and maybe eat a banana and think about fruit and vegetables and remind myself how great being a woman is. I wonder if sarcasm is a withdrawal symptom?
Image: Flickr
So as of today I am taking a week off. Sure I probably need to take more time away from it, at least a month, but if that was the goal it would be too hard and I would be inhaling it within an hour of making that goal. I have done a week before. I can do it again. Although last time I wasn't a hormonal woman snapping at The Boy and grinding my teeth at work while trying not to stand up tell them what I really think and walking out the door. But I figure if I can do it while I am all these things then I can definitely break this addiction.
The Boy said he would join me. I told him chocolate included milo. He agreed. This morning as I hugged him while he was putting his shoes on I said to him.
"What am I going to do? I always have hot chocolate with my cereal, what do I do now?" (Having it first thing in the morning as soon as I wake up - if that is not an addiction I don't know what is)
The Boy said nothing. In fact he looked away from me.
"What?" I asked.
"Nothing."
"Did you have hot chocolate this morning?"
"Maybe."
"But last night we agreed, and I said no milo."
"It wasn't milo, it was drinking chocolate."
Men. What else can I say. Apparently he is now going without. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt. So this morning in my glass of hot milk I put in instant coffee. Really not the same. I might have to have a smoothie or something tomorrow. And what about tonight? What do I do after dinner when I am craving something sweet and experiencing some serious cramping? Munch on an apple? And on the weekend with FMIL coming down, what do I do? Bake a carrot cake?
OK I am not in denial anymore, I can see it is a problem. One that is now being stopped. I am going to go now, and google "chocolate replacement" and maybe eat a banana and think about fruit and vegetables and remind myself how great being a woman is. I wonder if sarcasm is a withdrawal symptom?
Image: Flickr


1 comment:
This is exactly something Ken would do...You do have to laugh :P
Chocolate can be so addictive. Are you going to continue with it?
Post a Comment