Friday, June 19, 2009

Re-Discovering Past Hobbies

With my passion for tennis re-ignited, I decided it was time I explored some more of the things I loved when I was younger to see if I wanted to get back into them. Sewing (clothes and all forms of needle art) was one of them.

At school I did Textiles and Design and in Year 10 we had to make a dress and complete a needle art of some form. Most girls choose cross stitch. I decided to be a little different and after talking to mum I found myself learning tapestry. I received full marks for my piece and I was in love with it. I continued doing tapestry while at uni, but of course, like everything else, once I began working full time it stopped. That was until last weekend.

This Christmas I want to give gifts that have been "made with love". So I decided for one particular person I was going to make them a tapestry. I found my old books (thankfully I still have as they are no longer in print) picked a design (one had always wanted to get around to doing) and went to visit one of the only places in Sydney where I could get supplies. The previous weekend The Boy and I went out to another 'Supa Centa' where both Spotlight and Lincraft were located and they only catered for cross stitching (and even that was very limited). So last weekend it was off to the wonderful ladies at The Crewel Gobelin. If you are in Sydney and into any kind of tapestry, cross stitch, stitchery or anything similar I recommend you go there, it is worth the trip as they have abundant supplies and old fashioned service.

I spent almost half an hour there as the woman helping me very patiently picked out everything I would need. While I was there I also went through their items for sale and picked up two stitchery kits, something I have been meaning to learn, which will be done after this tapestry. Once I was home I couldn't wait to get started, and began the lengthy task of assembling the frame, finding the exact centre point of the canvas (I am a perfectionist so naturally I counted every single square and worked out the absolute centre from there) and tacking in the centre lines. After that I was finally able to begin.

It all came back to me, how addictive it is, the sense of achievement from every completed section and looking at the canvas beginning to take shape, and also the relaxation and peace you get from it. I now have a new favourite thing to do on Sunday mornings. I always do my beauty routine then, hair mask, let that sit in a towel for an hour, then full body scrub followed with lotion and a full facial. And now as I sit with my hair mask or face mask I am now sitting on the lounge with my tapestry while watching Sex and the City. Utterly relaxing as I get into the rhythmic flow of weaving the needle in and out. I was the most relaxed I have felt in a long time.So there is my work. I am totally loving re-discovering past hobbies. I wonder what it will turn into, and more importantly, who will be the lucky receiver of this gift? I know what I will be doing this weekend, what about you?

2 comments:

Chantel said...

Haha, I laughed when you said you counted every single square - I have totally done this before with cross stitch...LOL

I haven't done a tapestry before, it sounds relaxing and like something I would like.

Your Sunday morning routine sounds awesome, even right down to the city and the city part. I absolutely love that show! Cannot wait until the next movie comes out :)

I'm so glad you picked up something again that you used to love, I felt myself smiling and nodding reading this post :)

*hugs*
x

Anonymous said...

Isn't it relaxing? I am loving doing my cross stitch at the moment. Look forward to seeing your tapestry completed :D