
At work, fortunately no one was in to see it. I have only cried once at work before, and that was when I was working in real estate. I was told by my boss that I was never going to pass probation unless I worked harder. I was already doing 6 days a week and staying back at night. I burst into tears in front of him and he told me to take the afternoon off to decide what I wanted to do. I knew I couldn't work for him anymore as he was lying to clients, cheating them, had no integrity and was conducting real estate in numerous illegal ways. However, I stuck it out and passed probation and two weeks later I gave him my notice. Because I passed it meant he couldn't get back the $6,500 he paid the agency for me. Hehe, that's what happens when you do the wrong thing!
Anyway, so today I was told to make a few phone calls. I knew it was out of my "job description", but no drama, I don't mind making phone calls, but I do mind when I know I only have about 5% of the information to make the call. Still I had to do what I was told and I made the first call. The woman on the other end of the line was very rude and asked me questions I couldn't answer. When I told her I didn't know she told me she couldn't help me as I didn't give her enough information. Fair enough, but it was no excuse for her rudeness. I hung up and told my boss what happened and he told me he would call her but I was to call the other people. That was when the eyes began to well.
I don't know why I let that silly woman and my boss bother me so much, but they did. It was probably a mixture of many thing outside of work, but her rudeness and knowing I had to face it again sent me over the edge. I sat at my desk feeling my swollen eyes and bit my lip as it began to quiver. I called The Boy. I love that man, he calmed me down, told me what to do and reassured me that yes I should be treated better and that yes I was too good to work here. I know I am, but I have my reasons for staying here. The home loan for one, and also because I am going back to uni next year or the year after. But today I just wondered if it was worth it.
However I do not think changing is worth it either. I have a lot to think about, and he told me we could discuss it tonight. There are many reasons to stay and many to go. I just wish I already had the life I am working towards, but I suppose the journey just makes you stronger. If dreams were easy we would all be living them out. But they are not, they are hard and require time and effort and require you to do things you don't want to do. This job is one of them. I have to do it even though I don't to because doing it is only going to bring me closer to some of those dreams I want. The few that I really really want that are in the top 3 of my dreams.
As it turns out my boss called me back about twenty minutes later to tell me not to make anymore calls, he would come back to the office and do it himself as it was above me. I knew that, I knew it the moment I found out I had to make those calls. Anyway, I should hit publish before he gets back, and get back to doing the stuff I am paid to do. Which is mainly being on call for when some real work actually needs to be done ;)
Image: Flickr
Anyway, so today I was told to make a few phone calls. I knew it was out of my "job description", but no drama, I don't mind making phone calls, but I do mind when I know I only have about 5% of the information to make the call. Still I had to do what I was told and I made the first call. The woman on the other end of the line was very rude and asked me questions I couldn't answer. When I told her I didn't know she told me she couldn't help me as I didn't give her enough information. Fair enough, but it was no excuse for her rudeness. I hung up and told my boss what happened and he told me he would call her but I was to call the other people. That was when the eyes began to well.
I don't know why I let that silly woman and my boss bother me so much, but they did. It was probably a mixture of many thing outside of work, but her rudeness and knowing I had to face it again sent me over the edge. I sat at my desk feeling my swollen eyes and bit my lip as it began to quiver. I called The Boy. I love that man, he calmed me down, told me what to do and reassured me that yes I should be treated better and that yes I was too good to work here. I know I am, but I have my reasons for staying here. The home loan for one, and also because I am going back to uni next year or the year after. But today I just wondered if it was worth it.
However I do not think changing is worth it either. I have a lot to think about, and he told me we could discuss it tonight. There are many reasons to stay and many to go. I just wish I already had the life I am working towards, but I suppose the journey just makes you stronger. If dreams were easy we would all be living them out. But they are not, they are hard and require time and effort and require you to do things you don't want to do. This job is one of them. I have to do it even though I don't to because doing it is only going to bring me closer to some of those dreams I want. The few that I really really want that are in the top 3 of my dreams.
As it turns out my boss called me back about twenty minutes later to tell me not to make anymore calls, he would come back to the office and do it himself as it was above me. I knew that, I knew it the moment I found out I had to make those calls. Anyway, I should hit publish before he gets back, and get back to doing the stuff I am paid to do. Which is mainly being on call for when some real work actually needs to be done ;)
Image: Flickr


2 comments:
Sorry to hear that you had a hard day :( - I'm glad your boss finally came to his senses.
Oh I have had days like this at work too. Glad talking with the boy helped. It's nice to have someone listen when you're having a hard time. You keep working on your dreams Elissa. You'll get there mate :)
Post a Comment