Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Ceasefire


The Boy and I live in a boutique block of units (which is just a fancy word for old, because back in the 70's unit blocks were only three stories high, not like today where 200+ families fit into a block the size of a football field). In fact there are only 8 units in the entire block. I believe Mrs B has managed to "rattle" a few other residents aside from us. So the fact that she (as President of the Exec Committee) decided to hold a "get together" in the foyer last night surprised us both. Last week we all had a piece of paper slid under our door informing us that lately there have been a few new people move in and as we are such as small block we should get to know each other. Hence we were all invited to "drinks and nibblies" to be held on Tuesday night.

The Boy and I were not sure about this, of course we would go, just to make an appearance and also just in case everyone else turned up, we didn't want to be seen as the snobs that couldn't make it. The invitation stated it was only from 7-8, and fortunately we managed to go for a walk beforehand, come back, I was able to whip up some banana bread, change and was walking out the door at 7:05pm.

Good thing we made the effort because everyone else did. Well, I suspect one couple didn't plan on it, but considering their door is located on the foyer wall and we were all standing outside it they had no choice, they finally emerged after half an hour and were the first to leave. This event ended up going on for 2 hours! I had to leave half way through to take the bread out before the smoke alarm went off (and thankfully didn't burn it). It was nice meeting everyone and putting names to faces. The men all hung out together, and so did the girls, actually, there are three young couples (The Boy and I included) and the other two held onto their women, but The Boy was so popular he was taken all night by Mr J and I was forced to face Mrs B without the reassuring pat on the butt from The Boy.

Yes, Mrs B. She remembered my name, and finally got The Boy's name right (had been calling him something else altogether) and while there was no one-on-one conversation with her she was polite and civil, and maybe even friendly, her version of it, not mine. Clearly this was the start of a new beginning of at least being polite with each other, in fact I think towards the end she even gave a half smile (not at me though). However I did feel better about the situation.

We certainly do live with an interesting bunch of people, all very lovely, and people I can now have a conversation with. There is of course Mrs & Mr B, The Boy and I, then there is The Eco Warrior woman who talked about her vegan diet and gardening all night (yay someone to talk to!), the young couple who didn't want to be there and didn't say much, then we have the man who is never around on the weekends as he goes to the country to visit his "lady friend" and thought that by The Boy and I moving to the Central Coast suddenly made us "white trash". Then the lovely older couple Mr & Mrs J who are only there while they build their dream house, The Divorcee (who I could easily have coffee with on the weekend) and her lovely young daughter, and finally the friendly young couple who invited us around at some point in the future for some beers on the back patio.

Wow, so there really is community life in Sydney, who would have thought, and I am a part of it. The Boy and I sat back on the couch in The Penthouse smiling, it was just what we needed.

Image: Flickr

2 comments:

Chantel said...

Good on you for going along mate. And what an outcome! People who live in the same building that you got to know a little and that have similar interests! That's REALLY cool!! When I first moved to Sydney and moved into a flat, I thought it would be just like off neighbors and that I'd chat to them all and it'd be great – boy, was I in for a rude shock...LOL

I am hopeful that people are becoming more intune with their community and people around them – I’m so glad you had this experience. May there be more to come!

Anonymous said...

That is great - I would love to have a get together for all of our neighbours, it would be great to get to know them all. Maybe I should organise something.