Work. I don't hide the fact that my current role is a paycheck and not a career. I work hard, I do all that is asked of me to a high standard and am always efficient. But that is as far as it goes. I have no ambition to pursue my current field. Lately I have been questioning whether to stay or move on. Maybe it is time to go out and get into the scientific world (and actually use that Biology degree I spent three years obtaining). I didn't take that path at the time for a reason, instead I choose what was already familiar and it lead me on a very wild journey to rock bottom and back again. It was also a journey where I finally found out who I was and what I was good at and knowing there was nothing wrong with being proud of my abilities.But now, I think it is time to change paths again. I feel I am finally making progress on the life I dream of, and working in this job does not fit that picture. So here I was sitting at my desk, doing the work, but also thinking, should I move on?
And what happens? Some random guy walks in who was cleary on drugs or with a strong addiction and was needing a hit or something, and asks to speak to whoever was in charge. The female boss said "I am." He wanted a male. He was informed it was her or nothing. He decided to yell out every swear word possible, I am sure there was one or two I have never heard and then he pounded his fist down on the counter. I sat there frozen and terrified.
Fortunately he left after his fist pounding, storming out yellowing and slamming the door, and I was left with a racing heart and severe shaking. It is a small office in a small office block, anyone can just walk in, and with no men around (most days anyway) it would be easy for something to happen. The female boss asked if I was ok. I nodded, and she told me that if I was ever in here alone (as I sometimes am) to just lock the front door. I will be doing that every time now.
So, is that my answer? I could be reading into it waaaaayyyy to much, but then it is a very random thing to do. We are not a shop front on a highway, but tucked away from the main road and down a very steep driveway. You would have to know these offices existed to come into them. Very random indeed.
Naturally I called The Boy to make me feel better. Of course he affirmed what I was already thinking. That yes I should begin searching elsewhere. We are going to talk about it tonight, I sense another weekend of thinking will be coming up. Or not, as I am quite sure I have already found my answer, just need to work on the how.
Image: Flickr


1 comment:
Oh I'm sorry that's happened to you Elissa. It would have been quite startling. Please make sure you do start locking the door when you're by yourself.
Goodluck with the job hunt and working out the where and the what. Hope you're feeling better about this today *hugs*
Post a Comment