Monday, June 15, 2009

I've Been Thinking


This last week I have been looking back at the last 6 months and also looking ahead for the rest of the year. As a result and also talking with The Boy, some decisions have been made. The first one is that we have pushed back the wedding. It was originally May/June next year, however given how cold it is, we want a spring/summer wedding so it has been moved,. This means everything starts again because the place we had planned was perfect for autumn with all the golden leaves falling down the gravel path.... and now, who knows. We are not even going to set a month, it could be 2011 at this stage. It was putting a lot of pressure on us and we have just removed all that pressure. What is the rush? It will happen, we have other priorities to focus on and our time, energy, effort and money is better spent on other dreams. We have decided to talk about it again in 3 months and see where we are at.

The other decision I made is that I am going to put my editing on hold for 4 weeks. I have managed to prove to myself this year that I can achieve anything I put my mind to. The little steps really do add up to significant results over time. So with that, I have decided that I am going to focus my time and energy on another goal I have had and have been thinking about for a while now. I think 4 weeks of solid focus on that is enough time for me to set myself up, and begin taking those first steps, and after that time I should be able to do both my writing and this other goal together. If not, then I'll have to just try something else. (Yes I know, very secretive, all will be revealed in good time I promise).

I am actually feeling fantastic today. Now that the pressure is off, I feel great, and I feel that I can do whatever I want to, and that everything will happen when it is supposed too. I put too much emphasis on dates and I need to stop, because they are only setting me up for failure. By removing my time lines and letting things happen a little more naturally, I now feel so much more at peace with it all, and more willing to do what I need to do, so that the chances of success feel 100 times greater.

I have no doubt that I will come back to my writing feeling refreshed and ready to focus on it once more, and having a new perspective on the entire work, and the way I go about it. I also know that The Boy and I can plan the wedding of our dreams whenever we feel like it. We can also show a little patience and delay the gratification so we can eventually buy the property we really want and be able to do whatever we want to it. Finally I feel confident as I begin a new journey today that I will succeed. As I was having breakfast at 7am this morning, I found a quote, and it sums up how I am feeling perfectly.

"Perseverance is failing nineteen times and succeeding the twentieth" - Julie Andrews

Image: Flickr

3 comments:

Kristy said...

You go girl!

You sound so happy! That must mean that what you are doing is right for you! Awesome!!

Jenaveve said...

What a thoughtful and honest post.
Aren't we brilliant at putting pressure on ourselves? Well done Elissa for learning how to take it back off again.

Very intrigued about the new goal bubbling away...

Chantel said...

Good on you for looking after yourself and removing the pressure with these 2 big things in your life.

I'm glad it's made you feel better :)