Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Notice Anything Different?

There is something different about this canvas. Notice it? Yes I have added another leaf that looks like a bare bottom could be sitting on top of it. But there is something else....

The dark green leaf on the left hand side is gone. Gone! All that hard work and effort and it is gone! Why? Well as I was constructing the large leaf it was getting close to the dark green one. So close that I was going to end up running into it. I picked up my chart and looked very carefully. On the 7th row from the top of the dark green leaf I made an error. I was one stitch over, which meant that every row under that (about 20-30) was one over. Was this a problem? Yes.

The Boy told me I was "talented" enough that I could just work around it. I told him it wasn't talent, it was following a chart and I had made an error in doing that and it didn't matter what he said it had to be made right. Maybe I could have done a botch job, but if I did it would bother me for the rest of my life. I would see it hanging up in a certain person's house, and everytime I saw it I would be reminded. The leaf would have to go and would have to be sewn again, this time in the correct spot.

I don't know how it happened in the first place. I am not careless when it comes to these things. So I think it was one of two things. Either I was so absorbed in Sex and the City that I wasn't paying enough attention (although given I could recite the scripts myself I doubt it) or that I was so excited about getting back into tapestry that I didn't look closely enough at the chart and my work because I was a little too determined to get it done. It has certainly been a lesson. I know doing a rush job never pays off. I just didn't apply my knowledge of that at the time. Next time I will be more aware.

So, I had to remove the offending leaf. How was I going to do that? I searched my sewing box and couldn't find my unpicker, or my embroidery scissor. Which means that I must have another secret stash of sewing supplies hidden somewhere at mum's house. Out of pure frustration and a strong desire to make things right I began to cut the wool with ordinary scissors. It was very difficult. The Boy pulled the canvas out of my hands and told me not to be so stupid and to stop before I put a hole in it. He then disappeared, and emerged a minute later with...... his razor.

What did he do? He sat with my canvas on his lap and shaved the back of the offending leaf. Very gently, and with great care, and slowly the wool began to pull away. He was slow, and patient, and I watched as the leaf disappeared before my eyes. Before I knew it, it was gone. The canvas was unharmed and I was free to start again. I looked at disbelief at the pile of wool in front of me. Sure it might not be in the tapestry books, but it worked. I was a happy camper. I could now carry on anxiety free.

I couldn't help but smile for the rest of the night. I think you can see why.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah - I can't watch anything too interesting while I am doing my cross stitch :P - always leads to mistakes ;)

Chantel said...

What a lovely boy!! :)