I discovered yesterday that my one and only magazine that I buy on the day it comes out every single month, Slimming & Health has been dropped. The next issue is to be the last. Did ACP give any thought to it's readers? To our needs and wants? What about me?
This magazine is my only monthly indulgence. I stopped buying all the other crap that always made me feel I was never cool enough, rich enough or skinny enough ages ago in an attempt to save money and gain back a little more self esteem. It worked very well for me. But S&H was different. It wasn't full of adds, it didn't have pages and pages of exercises I would never do, and it never spoke about the advantages of protein powder. All it ever did was talk about health, no crap, just health, with a little bit of beauty, fitness, food, real life success stories and a good dose of positive thinking. Even though the magazine was based on helping readers to loose weight, it never made me feel any less of myself if I didn't. It only ever made me feel good about all the things that I was doing to improve my overall health. And now it is gone.
So what do I do? Do I remove myself from 'magazine land' altogether? The mag is $6.10 a week, so after a full 12 months I will have $73.20 extra in my wallet. Hmmm even my facials cost more than that. So do I replace it? Do I find another magazine I can sit down at lunch with to inject some life into an otherwise beyond boring work day? What are the options?
Well there is Womens Health. I bought this magazine when it first came out, for about the first 4 months, after which I decided it was crap. 6 months ago I gave it another chance. It was still crap. It is full of information I already know, and the information is repeated every single issue, the only difference being it is worded differently. I never found joy from this magazine but rather total boredom and felt like banging my head against a brick wall would give me more pleasure. Might see if the hairdresser has a copy and see if after 6 months it has improved. I doubt it.
Womens Health & Fitness. This magazine isn't too bad. It is quite broad in it's information and is very open, such as discussing alternative therapies and the like. The information is very dense with very little fluff and gets to the point. It covers all aspects of health, fitness, food, mental, emotional, even spiritual. My only issue with this magazine is it is full of ads for protein powder and it has a lot of weight training exercises, which I personally don't need.
Perhaps I should venture away from Health and move into Lifestyle? It is time that I learnt how to co-ordinate furniture? How to have a dinner party? Or maybe I should explore fashion and attempt to look like a badly dressed woman with no idea at all. Or I could just use my lunch break to sit in silence and just dream. Hmmmm decisions, decisions, what am I going to do....
This magazine is my only monthly indulgence. I stopped buying all the other crap that always made me feel I was never cool enough, rich enough or skinny enough ages ago in an attempt to save money and gain back a little more self esteem. It worked very well for me. But S&H was different. It wasn't full of adds, it didn't have pages and pages of exercises I would never do, and it never spoke about the advantages of protein powder. All it ever did was talk about health, no crap, just health, with a little bit of beauty, fitness, food, real life success stories and a good dose of positive thinking. Even though the magazine was based on helping readers to loose weight, it never made me feel any less of myself if I didn't. It only ever made me feel good about all the things that I was doing to improve my overall health. And now it is gone.
So what do I do? Do I remove myself from 'magazine land' altogether? The mag is $6.10 a week, so after a full 12 months I will have $73.20 extra in my wallet. Hmmm even my facials cost more than that. So do I replace it? Do I find another magazine I can sit down at lunch with to inject some life into an otherwise beyond boring work day? What are the options?
Well there is Womens Health. I bought this magazine when it first came out, for about the first 4 months, after which I decided it was crap. 6 months ago I gave it another chance. It was still crap. It is full of information I already know, and the information is repeated every single issue, the only difference being it is worded differently. I never found joy from this magazine but rather total boredom and felt like banging my head against a brick wall would give me more pleasure. Might see if the hairdresser has a copy and see if after 6 months it has improved. I doubt it.
Womens Health & Fitness. This magazine isn't too bad. It is quite broad in it's information and is very open, such as discussing alternative therapies and the like. The information is very dense with very little fluff and gets to the point. It covers all aspects of health, fitness, food, mental, emotional, even spiritual. My only issue with this magazine is it is full of ads for protein powder and it has a lot of weight training exercises, which I personally don't need.
Perhaps I should venture away from Health and move into Lifestyle? It is time that I learnt how to co-ordinate furniture? How to have a dinner party? Or maybe I should explore fashion and attempt to look like a badly dressed woman with no idea at all. Or I could just use my lunch break to sit in silence and just dream. Hmmmm decisions, decisions, what am I going to do....


2 comments:
The only magazienes I buy are better homes and gardens which has a bit of everything, and I sometimes buy Take 5 and That’s Life (very nanna of me!) because the stories are from just every day people, plus if you like puzzles they have loads of them you can do at lunchtimes.
Maybe you could find a few good books to read – I read eat pray love this year and it really helped me with moving forward with my life. I’ve been getting into reading lately, reading on the train to and from work.
Goodluck with finding something else you like :)
I've been trying to decide on a magazine to read lately. I decided on Juxtapoz (an art and culture magazine from the states). Most of the magazines here are just pure crap!
Post a Comment