Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Literary CV

Hooray!! I finally pulled out my 2kg manuscript and actually opened it. Then I even plugged my USB into the computer hit CTRL F typed "You are here" and I was off. It felt nice to be back into it. Not so nice to take myself back to that point in my life, but to be editing again felt good. It has been almost 6 weeks after all.

It also reminded me of how much I have to do. Leading up to today I have been doing some reading about writing and getting published etc, and I found in one of my emails about a competition and first prize is $10,000 and guaranteed publication. I felt like it was Christmas, what if I won? How good would that be. So I researched further and one of the things that needs to be included is my Literary CV. My what?

Clearly I don't have one. A Literary is CV is your CV but instead of listing your jobs, you list all the competitions you have won or were short listed for, your publications, contributions etc. I was aware of the need for this 3 years ago when I began on my manuscript so I entered two competitions. The first one nothing happened, and the second one I came second. I was so excited about that, I was calling everyone, waving the piece of paper around, and jumping around the house. I even laminated it to stick on my wall as inspiration. I thought "Yes, I am a writer" and then I thought I had better get to work on perfecting my manuscript for publication and then I kind of forget about entering competitions altogether.

Well as of today that has stopped. I won't be ready to have a chance at the $10,000 this year, but next year, absolutely. So it is off to work on building up my Lit CV. I have just sent off for two comps already, a short story and a poem, and my goal now for the rest of the year is to write a short story or poem every fortnight and send it off somewhere.

Hopefully in one year I will have a Lit CV at least a couple of pages long, and a very completed and very publishable manuscript.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should post some of your short stories or poems on your blog :)

Chantel said...

What thereddeer said!!!

I'd love to read some too.

I like your plan to send something off once a fortnight - go you good thing :)