Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Somewhere In Between


On the weekend I went to Woolies and while there went to the magazine isle, looking for something to take to work. As I looked I saw Notebook. I had never purchased the magazine before but it came with a free cooking DVD (love The Cook & The Chef) so I threw it into the trolley.

Once home I opened it up and flipped through the pages. It seemed a little like the Australian Woman's Weekly but maybe a little younger. I felt I wasn't quite ready for the magazine. I put it down and it got me thinking. I am feeling a little isolated. A little stuck somewhere between two different groups and I am not sure which one I belong too. I am 26. Approaching 27 this year. I feel I am a little too old for the likes of Cosmopolitan and Cleo, but a little too young for Australian Woman's Weekly and Notebook. So where do I fit?

Cosmopolitan
and Cleo talk a lot about sex, especially casual sex and drinking and partying and their readers all seem to be 19 - 25. I really can't relate to it anymore. I am over all the celeb stuff and all the crap in those magazine, I have passed that stage of my life. I don't like hitting the clubs and getting drunk and being up to date on the latest celeb info. I have left that behind and am glad I have. I am at a new stage in my life.

Australian Woman's Weekly and Notebook seem to cater for woman 30 plus. Married woman with babies and children and mortgages who have dinner parties and spend their weekends making a room in the house "vintage charm". I can't yet relate to that either. I want to relate to it, and I will in the coming years, but for now, I am not there yet.

So where am I? I am in a committed relationship with the man of my dreams who will be my husband next year. Children are at least 5 years away. Buying a house is 2 years away and as for dinner parties, we need to make new friends that are at the same stage as us in order to invite them over.

I just feel isolated. I have some friends who did the marrying young thing and are already mothers and into redecorating. I also have friends who still go out and get drunk on the weekends. What I don't have are friends that are where I am. This place somewhere in between.

I am happy to leave the past in the past, I don't feel the need to go back there, and I am happy for the future to happen in it's own time. I am looking forward to my 30's in 3.5 years from now. But for now? What is there for me. Where do I fit in? How do I find people I can relate to?

I think the answer is just to keep doing what I am doing and getting out there and making my dreams happen, because regards of what stage I am at, at the end of the day I want to be around people that are also dream achievers. If I continue on my dreams then I have no doubt that in the near future I will begin to meet people along the way who are in the same stage as me and we can all have a dinner party and welcome our 30's, marriage, mortgages and babies in 2012.

2 comments:

Kristy said...

Try Harpers Bazaar. As I am almost the same age as you, I find this magazine perfect. There are some stories and some fashion, and not a lot of focus on the same things as the younger magazines, and although some of the interviews are of celebrities, the interviews tend to focus on careers and what makes them tick, as opposed to what they had for lunch.

Chantel said...

Hi Elissa, saw that you started following my blog so I've come on over and started to read though your blog. I have to say that this post touched me - I feel so similar to this sometimes! I wondering how you're going with this *keeps reading*