When you move house you are forced to pack everything and then unpack everything, and this in turns means you need to face everything, every single piece of crap that for whatever reason you held onto. I guess most people throw out this stuff as they are packing so the new place doesn't need to be infected by it. Not The Boy and I however, who left it to the last minute so we had no time to decide if we were keeping something or not, everything was thrown into a box, sealed and moved.
We have now sorted out every room, everything has it's place, we have all we need aside from a couple of tables which we will purchase in the next month or two. While I was fishing for a pair of undies yesterday I pulled out a pair that had a few holes in them. I realised it was time for The Big Purge.
It is time for me to go around and throw away everything I do not need. I will admit I have done a little already with the move, like the bathroom and the bookshelves, but this week and this weekend everything else is getting done, the kitchen - the pantry and the fridge, my wardrobe, if it doesn't fit it is going to charity, if it has holes it is getting thrown out. My bedside table - three drawers full of crap, then the study. I have been so "busy" with the move, that all paperwork has not been dealt with and has been left on my desk. It is time to deal with it. I want my in-tray empty. I want to be on top of everything, I am already in the process of cleaning out my email inbox. Down from 122 to 55. I want it down to 5.
The Boy is not escaping, his mum kindly brought his home gym down last week and with that also came several giant beach bags full of clothes, and a couple of suitcases. He will be just as busy as me this weekend.
The result on Sunday night will be a clutter and crap free space, in the unit and in my head. Every time I try and get creative I just look at all the stuff that needs to be done/dealt with. I need to do this if I am going to get more serious about my dreams. The first step to achieving anything is to remove all obstacles, both physical and mental. I want to have everything in order so I can sit at my desk and be free to write and to edit. I am getting well underway on my first re-write, it is time to get more serious and I need to be spending as much time as I can on that goal. Until next week though, it is time for me to get my hands dirty and pull out the garbage bag and ask myself many times over "what was I thinking holding onto this?"
We have now sorted out every room, everything has it's place, we have all we need aside from a couple of tables which we will purchase in the next month or two. While I was fishing for a pair of undies yesterday I pulled out a pair that had a few holes in them. I realised it was time for The Big Purge.
It is time for me to go around and throw away everything I do not need. I will admit I have done a little already with the move, like the bathroom and the bookshelves, but this week and this weekend everything else is getting done, the kitchen - the pantry and the fridge, my wardrobe, if it doesn't fit it is going to charity, if it has holes it is getting thrown out. My bedside table - three drawers full of crap, then the study. I have been so "busy" with the move, that all paperwork has not been dealt with and has been left on my desk. It is time to deal with it. I want my in-tray empty. I want to be on top of everything, I am already in the process of cleaning out my email inbox. Down from 122 to 55. I want it down to 5.
The Boy is not escaping, his mum kindly brought his home gym down last week and with that also came several giant beach bags full of clothes, and a couple of suitcases. He will be just as busy as me this weekend.
The result on Sunday night will be a clutter and crap free space, in the unit and in my head. Every time I try and get creative I just look at all the stuff that needs to be done/dealt with. I need to do this if I am going to get more serious about my dreams. The first step to achieving anything is to remove all obstacles, both physical and mental. I want to have everything in order so I can sit at my desk and be free to write and to edit. I am getting well underway on my first re-write, it is time to get more serious and I need to be spending as much time as I can on that goal. Until next week though, it is time for me to get my hands dirty and pull out the garbage bag and ask myself many times over "what was I thinking holding onto this?"


No comments:
Post a Comment