Friday, March 20, 2009

Motivation

I remember reading an article on Calorie King about motivation. It said that sometimes the biggest motivation comes in the form of negative motivation, in the desire to move away from something. If you think about it, your typical alcoholic doesn't stop drinking because they want to loose a few kg's to get into their skinny jeans, they stop because they have reached rock bottom and do not want to end up dead. I am currently experiencing negative motivation.

I am really disliking my job, yesterday the Managing Director was in (there are only 7 staff in the company) and I felt like it was Pick On Elissa Day (although I did discover others were picked on too). I am yet to hear "well done" or "great job". They do not believe in encouragement. So I spent all day defending myself and today I have come in and everyone is swarming me with work, I don't mind doing the work, it is the attitude they all seem to have that comes with it. It is the expectations as well. Today, for the first time I feel angry at work. I am angry at the boss and some of the people I work with.

I have disliked the job for a while, and I think that up until today I have been allowing that dislike to creep into the rest of my life, I haven't been able to leave these negative emotions at the door, but taking them with me. I have decided now, however, that I am going to leave it at the door. I am not going to allow this role or these people to effect my life anymore. I am going to use the emotions that I feel to push me to do what I want. I am not going to allow it to suck all the joy from my life and make me miserable when I am not at work. I am going to use it to push me forward.

I have had a very motivating week outside of work (which I will blog about on the weekend) and as a result my headspace if very different, so it is only now that I can see what I can do, that I can use all of this energy to motivate me to get to where I want to be. I have already been inspired this week and this is only adding more fuel. I am going to use this to move away from it, and create that vision in my head of how I want to spend my working hours. And finally, today at 5pm when I walk out the door, I am going to remember to dump these emotions into the bin and have a lovely carefree weekend with The Boy.

No comments: